Calathea Roseopicta "Princess Jessie" - Prayer Plant - 6" Pot (Rare)
Calathea roseopicta ‘Princess Jessie’ is in the prayer plant family. It has the same movement pattern as other calathea. It raises and lowers its leaves throughout the day. It is also very similar to another Calathea, the Calathea roseopicta ‘Dottie’. The compact, low-growing plants both have ovate leaves with a feather-like pattern on the rippled leaves. However, the Princess Jessie has a dark green to black main color much darker than the Dottie. The pink band around the edges is larger and more pronounced. They only reach about 12 inches tall and about as wide. These rare plants are perfect for pink or black plant collectors.
- As with other Calathea, the Princess Jessie comes from a tropical environment and is typically found at the base of trees. The soil is usually rich with tree matter and other decomposing material. When considering your soil mixture look for something well-draining and coarse. You can amend with orchid bark or perlite to help with drainage.
- The dark leaves do best in low to medium light. Direct sunlight can cause scorching of the leaves and too much bright light can cause the leaves to be smaller or affect the coloring.
- The moisture level should remain even. Letting the soil become too dry makes the leaves crispy and may result in brown leaf tips. On the other side of the spectrum, allowing the soil to be wet instead of moist can cause root rot.
- The Princess Jessie enjoys warmer temperatures, and normal indoor temperatures are typically perfect for them. Keep away from drafty areas or heating and cooling vents which can be drying for this humidity loving plant.
- These and other Calathea are non-toxic and make great companions for dogs, cats, and humans.
- Grown in a 6” pot but ships bare-root.
- Heat packs are available for purchase.
- The plant pictured is not the exact plant you will receive.
- Each plant is lovingly packaged to be sent to you.