- Botanical Name: Callicarpa
- Common Names: Beautyberry
- Description: An ornamental beauty true to its name in both respects, the Beautyberry is a colorful flowering shrub that is ideal for any garden, commended for its lovely fuchsia berries and graceful, lush green structure.
What distinguishes the lovely Beautyberry?
- Provides exquisite fuchsia-purple berries, which contrast beautifully against the tree’s vivid green foliage and gracefully arching stems.
- Swift and easy to grow.
- Tenacious against the challenges of drought, and has proven itself to be generally immune to pests and diseases.
- Exhibits gorgeous purple-pink blossoms in the spring.
Keeping up appearances:
The shrub’s violet-hued berries emerge in the late summer and garnish this specimen well into the winter, charmingly complementing its greenish-gold, purple-tinged autumnal foliage. Although the Beautyberry sheds its leaves during the frigid months, it’s worth the wait until its riotous summertime comeback, heralded by its lavender-pink splendor of blossoms which are only the precursor, of course, to the gleaming gems of berries soon to follow. As each local bird and human would likely testify, the Beautyberry is an undeniable feast for the senses.
A friendly recommendation.
As a deciduous shrub, this species grows to a modest height and width ranging from 3-6 ft., making it an exemplary option for small gardens. The Beautyberry requires minimal maintenance as long as its roots are well established—ideally in moist clay or sandy soil enriched with organic matter—and it can be straightforwardly propagated via cuttings or seeds. It thrives in full sun to partial shade, having a versatile 6-10 hardiness zone rating and a tolerance to clay soils.
*Due to some restrictions, orders cannot be shipped to California. All orders placed to a California delivery address will be fully refunded back to the customer*